Friday, October 21, 2011

The First Year...

I can't really say when Iliana Morton Photography started... I've been doing photography and getting paid for it (and sometimes not) for a long time.  What I do know is that recently Brian (my husband/controller of all things technology) mentioned that he renewed my domain (http://www.ilianaphoto.com/) registration. So what that meant to me is that I have been opporating officially as Iliana Morton Photography for somewhere around a year...

Looking back, I must say, this year has been kick-a$$ in all sorts of ways.  To be honest, I was somewhat miserable before starting this business.  I had graduated college,  I felt frustrated because I didn't feel I was doing whatever it was I was "supposed" to be doing, and I couldn't figure out what that was.  I cried a lot because I felt unpurposed, lost, and more than anything, exhausted.  Somewhat broken, even. Luckily I have the best husband in the world, because he was finally able to get me to answer honestly when he asked me the question "what do you do that makes you happy?"  The answer was easy, but I told him I couldn't do it.  He told me to stop being a baby and that I could if I really wanted to and worked really hard. "It's not going to come easily, and it won't happen overnight, but you CAN do it." is what he told me.  So eventually I did.  I eventually snapped myself out of the mid-mid life crisis I was having, put hours and hours and every ounce of extra energy I had into what I needed to do to start Iliana Morton Photography, and I took a giant leap of faith.  I am so glad I did.

It has not been an easy first year.  As most people will tell you, it's often rough being the "new kid."  But It has been an amazing journey so far.  This year has been full of learning.  I've gained so much valuable knowledge, and I'm sure that in itself is a neverending process. I've met so many people, a few who I am happy to call very good friends now.  I've been given amazing opportunities to do things I never imagined.  I've had the opportunity to meet and work with absolutely wonderful couples and individuals and have shared in their most joyous moments in life.   This, above all, is what I love the most and why I feel so priveledged to do what I am doing now.

So I'm going to "cheers" myself and buy myself a tasty glass of wine tonight and celebrate my first Iliana Morton Photography birthday. I'll extend the cheers to you too, because you've supported me through all of this and have provided me with whatever I've needed, whether it be words of encouragement, advice, constructive criticism, or a much needed break.  So thank you thank you thank you!  I can't wait to see what comes next...

xoxo
Iliana Morton

No comments:

Post a Comment